Bad vs. Good……Teachers ??!!
Teaching as
a career is one of the most complicated jobs of all times. A teacher needs to
be psychologist, historian, sociologist and geography teacher. S/he has also to
have broad knowledge about the subject, curriculum, standards, and students, as
well. Being a teacher further means
being the friend, the mother, the father, the advisor, and the teacher. All are
compiled in one package—the TEACHER. So,
what makes a teacher great and what makes him/her flunk their mission. The following lines will touch upon good and
bad teachers as well as reflecting on my experience as a teacher.
While I was
in my first steps in teaching career, I met many burned out and unmotivated
teachers who, firstly, piqued my interest and motivation towards teaching. The first thing they uttered on my first day
at school was: “Why did you become a teacher. It did not worth it when you
earned little compared to the amount of work you would be doing.” Saying this gave me the impression that they were
“bad teachers” although I believed and still do that there are no bad teachers
because every teacher have had something to give in their unique way to their
students. Yet, and with time, I didn’t find them bad teachers because they were
really good and knew what their students needed and knew their material very well.
After all, I did not, and still do not, believe that there are “bad teachers” because
the moment you are enrolled in education, you are a good teacher who will
contribute to the educational system and students learning.
Aside from
this and my reflection upon my experience with previously mentioned incident,
who is a “bad teacher”?
In my
opinion, a bad teacher is the one who has no control of the classroom where
there are discipline problems and bullying among students. Another type of bad
teacher examples is the one who is not familiar with his/her teaching material
and has difficulty answering questions, or being effectively involved in a class discussion. Adding to this
is the teacher who teaches the class as a whole and does not pay attention to
individual needs. By this, s/he
eliminates individualism, creativity, and uniqueness in the classroom where
individuality is supposed to flourish. Another
important issue is the fact that some teachers choose to be bad due to logistic
matters. This type loses enthusiasm and motivation towards teaching and
students. They wander off topics easily and waste the teaching time in
irrelevant issues, as a way of protesting against the system. Yet, I still believe that there is no bad
teacher as long as s/he tried to cope with all circumstances that hinder or
delay the teaching involvement.
Knowing so
far that there is no bad teacher, one needs to ask: who is a good teacher? Well, a good teacher
is simply the opposite of the previously mentioned examples of a bad teacher
and more. A good teacher is the one who
is already prepared to teach the classroom with enthusiasm. It is also important to not stereotype
learners and undermine them for any reason. Instead, a good teacher should have high
expectations for all students and no one is left behind without giving up on
any student. Good relationships are another key issue of the teacher success in
the classroom. Students nowadays learn in collaborative atmosphere, where they
become partners in the learning-teaching process. Involving students in their learning gives them
opportunity to shape their learning process and final product.
Looking back
at teaching as a productive career, teachers have the potential to use
different methods in their teaching.
Methods may come from adopting, sharing, exchanging and inventing ways
of teaching that suit different students.
In this case, creative teachers can only bring out creative ideas that
keep students motivated while using a variety of methods and approaches. It always happens that my ideas came through
negotiating learning issues with my students and colleagues. One idea will give
sparks and fireworks for another and so on. For this, teachers have to be aware
of every possible idea that can bring new learning experiences.
Technology
nowadays becomes one of the motivated tools for the classroom because more
students, compared to teachers, are going deeply into technology and online
tools. A good teacher, in this
situation, is the one who takes advantage of what students like and uses it for
their learning when students are engaged into their learning process and
working teams. From my experience, using technological tools in the classroom
provided students with alternative and available tools to enhance
learning. In particular, learning
disabilities (LD), pupils having difficulties (PHD) and even special education
students are mostly advanced because of integrating technological tools in the
classroom. A good example is while teaching deaf-mute students who have
had no qualified teachers to communicate
with them using sign language for preparing them for their Bagrut English
examination. I volunteered to work with them, of course with my minimum sign
language I know. The only way to communicate with them is via computers and
chat options that the English Language Center (ELC) has. I successfully managed to train them for their
examinations by providing them with tips of how to deal with the exams.
Thus, when a
teacher decides to obtain teaching as a career, s/he has to take responsibility towards their
students because they are the future generation who will make changes for a
better life.



Teacher should be ironed with knowledge hiding soft heart inside :)
ReplyDeleteMaha,
ReplyDeleteThis is such an interesting post. I would really love to know more about the distinction that you draw between the good and bad teachers--especially as it relates to understanding the relationship between establishing authority in a classroom and its metaphor--that of having command of what I assume is disciplinary knowledge.
I've also been quite interested in the idea of digressions that appear in classrooms. I have always tried to push my students toward making digressions that are meaningful, at least in the sense that they might be able to make connections between the reading material and whatever topic has emerged from classroom discussions. I sometimes wonder if the pressure to stay on task actually might restrict some interesting possibilities.
Very cool post!
I like how you saw positives even with teachers who were unmotivated. It is your enthusiasm and optimism that I think characterizes your personality overall and probably your teaching.
ReplyDeleteMaha,
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting blog post. I have to think about whether or not all teachers are good, even if they seem bad. On the one hand, we hope that every teacher at least improves every student's education a little. Unfortunately I think sometimes whatever good a teacher does is off set when their attitude is too negative, an issue you do point out.
I also love the picture of the hand with the sparks. That raises that interesting idea of the teacher having the power to bring the light of learning alive in a student.
Great post!
Dr. Pagnucci